Saturday, April 27, 2013

Time to Say Goodbye---A Brief Reflection


“All good things must come to an end,” at least that is what I’ve heard. I have always hated this saying. It seems so cynical, so depressing. I suppose in an existential sense this is true: everything ends at some point, but I can’t help but ask that if something is “good,” does it ever really end? Physically, there may be an end point, but the memories of that good thing, the goodness that one gains from it, the “changed for the better” in someone; isn’t this the continuation of those good things?

I will be leaving Sicily, my home away from home, in two days time, and I have spent the better half of this week reflecting on the above mentioned phrase and all of the good things I have experienced here. True, I will no longer be living in Catania with my wonderful family, but I do not see my leaving as the end of our bond. They have become a part of me, who I am as a person. Living with them and adapting to their lifestyle has taught me much about myself and re-shaped my small perspective of the world. This experience has opened my mind in ways I did not expect. I did not simply take a vacation traveling through the vineyards of Italy, sipping wine, eating cheese, and riding on the back of Vespas with cute Italian men. Alright, well I did do those things, but these past three months became so much more than that. I learned how to be a teacher, felt that rush of pure joy and sense of accomplishment when Ida would understand what she was reading, and the happiness I felt for her accomplishment in that moment; I gained new meaning to “independent study,” or studying without any assignment or teacher or school tuition providing incentive, but studying purely for my own desire to learn; I figured out how to adapt to a striking change in environment and comfort zone; and I discovered a confidence in simply being who I am, embracing my characteristics, both good and bad, and finding value in them.

I am a firm believer in the idea that everything happens in time for a reason or some greater purpose, and I truly believe that I was meant to come here to Catania, to live with this particular family. We both needed each other in order to move forward in our lives, and the timing of everything fell perfectly into place. Through all of the mishaps along the way with the program and my placement, I could not have asked for a better outcome. Antonella, Ida, and Salvo have completely welcomed me into their home as one of their own, and have made a great impact on my life and where I am to go from here. I can only hope that I have impacted them in a positive way and have taught them a little about my own American way of life, and not just the lifestyle they see in the movies.

It has been a beautiful experience and one that I shall never forget. While I will no longer be in Sicily, my teaching will continue. The family and I will keep in touch over Skype, and I will continue to help Ida with her English as she prepares for her certification (her teacher finally saw the light of day!).

Saying goodbye to friends is always bittersweet. There is a sadness in leaving, and yet an excitement in what lies ahead. In a way, though, this isn’t really goodbye. This “good thing” is not really ending. After all, with every end comes a new beginning, and boy, are we just getting started.

Ci vediamo dopo          

No comments:

Post a Comment